Reflection About Assumptions and Re-Storying

 

For my first blog posts;
In the first part of this assignment, I had to investigate two assumptions that impact how I interact with families in a school or community setting. I first had to reflect on how and when those assumptions surfaced in my thoughts and my language. Then, I had to think about what other factors built on myself to have those assumptions. I also had to evaluate how those assumptions may affect me in creating family, school, and community any connections. Lastly, I needed to produce ways that I could eliminate or decrease my way of thinking in connection to my assumptions. This assignment can relate to this class by having educators pinpoint an obstacle they may face in connecting with families and the community and give us some clarity on how to overcome these obstacles.
In the second part of this assignment, I had to reposition my view of my family and view it from the perspective of what other people think about my family. Then, I had to re-story it, to my own perspective and what my family value is. To express the different perspectives, I had to explore the creation of comic-making. During this process, I learned about the different parts of creating a comic such as; the panels, caption, speech bubble, gutter, etc. Learning about comics can be related to this class by learning a new genre of relating information with families in a school and members of the community. With the use of relaying information in comic form, a teacher such as myself can grab the attention of my parents and students.
To learn more about creating your own comic visit: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-create-a-comic-book-step-by-step-guide-for-making-your-own-comics
In this two-part assignment, I can say it has broadened my way of thinking and allowed me to be more open-minded about the families and the people I interact with daily. I also, realized that as a teacher I forget to look at parents and family members as individuals that have a life outside of the school and their child.
I leave you with this quote, after reading it sit and close your eyes. As your eyes are closed, make your mind wander. The first thing that comes forward, ask yourself why this and reflect on it.
Comment the first thing that came to your mind and feel free to explain why.

"Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful."- Margaret J. Wheatley


Comments

  1. I love the quote that you chose to add to your post when talking about reflection. I feel like us reflecting on these assignments help us in the future when we become educators one day. I always think revision is so important as well. Is there anything you would revise about your blog posts now that you have finished your assignment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that I would revise in my blog is the sequence in which I posted my assignments.

      Delete
  2. Hello Tiffany, that is true when you say parents or family members have a life besides their children's school daily. Even, for teachers. As a teacher, how do you reach an agreement with parents to work with the inappropriate behavior of their children in class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am unable to see the parent during drop-offs or pick-ups, I would then call the parent to make the appropriate arrangements to further discuss the child's behavior. This can be via phone call, video call, or in-person.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts